I like to play Windows based games on my Linux based Quad Core computer. To do this I use Codeweaver’s CrossOver Games. In general, it meets all my gaming needs. So far I have been able to install and play the following games:
- Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars using the instructions located at Codeweaver’s C&C3: Tiberium Wars compatibility page. It is important to use the ‘Default Install’ as an Advance Install will fail. Also, you will want to install inside an Unsupported Bottle, I use one named CNC3.
- Rise of Nations requires additional instructions. First you need to use the Codeweaver’s installation tool to install Steam to get the necessary version of DirectX, then follow the instructions on the Codeweaver’s Rise of Nations Compatibility page.
- Rise of Nations: Throne and Patriots should just install. All updates work as well.
- Command and Conquer 3: Kane’s Wrath installs fine but you need to follow the instructions for the Tiberium War’s compatibility page to get a running copy. Just substitute Kane’s Wrath for Tiberium Wars in most cases.
- Escape the Museum is just fun and installs fine with no issues what so ever.
What is interesting about installing these games makes me think of a Games Virtual Desktop using JeOS and CrossOver Games. Granted, the video performance would be incredibly bad, but the idea is interesting.