VKD3D-Proton is a fork of VKD3D, which aims to implement the full Direct3D 12 API on top of Vulkan. The project serves as the development effort for Direct3D 12 support in Proton.
It has been a long while since 2.5, and this release rolls up a lot of fixes, features and optimizations.
- Fix black screen rendering bug in Horizon Zero Dawn after latest game updates.
- Fix crashes on startup in Final Fantasy VII: Remake and Warframe.
- Fix crashes in Guardians of the Galaxy when interacting with certain game objects.
- Fix hang on game shutdown in Elden Ring.
- Fix broken geometry rendering in Age of Empires: IV.
- Improve generated shader code for vectorized load-store operations in DXIL.
- Greatly reduce CPU overhead for descriptor copy operations,
which is a key contributor to CPU overhead in D3D12.
Pipeline library rewrite
Support D3D12 pipeline libraries better where we can now also cache
generated SPIR-V from DXBC/DXIL.
Massively reduces subsequent load times in Monster Hunter: Rise,
and helps other titles like Guardian of the Galaxy and Elden Ring.
Also lays the groundwork for internal driver caches down the line for games which do not use this API.
Also, deduplicates binary blobs for reduced disk size requirements.
Shader model 6.6 is now fully implemented. This includes support for:
- ResourceDescriptorHeap direct access
- 64-bit atomics
- Compute shader derivatives
- WaveSize attribute
- Packed math intrinsics
- Handle API feature MinResourceLODClamp correctly if
- Expose CastFullyTypedFormat feature.
- Expose some advanced shader features on Intel related to UAV formats (
- Support COLOR -> STENCIL copies.
- Workaround DEATHLOOP not emitting synchronization commands correctly. Fixes menu flicker on RADV.
- Workaround quirky API usage in Elden Ring. Removes many kinds of stutter and chug when traversing the scenery.
- Workaround certain environments failing to create Vulkan device if some
VK_NVX_*extensions are enabled.
- Workaround glitched foliage rendering in Horizon Zero Dawn after latest game updates.
- Workaround some questionable UE4 shaders causing glitched rendering on RADV.
Note on future Vulkan driver requirements
2.6 is expected to be the last vkd3d-proton release before we require some newer Vulkan extensions.
dynamic_state_2 as well) will be required.
VK_KHR_dynamic_rendering in particular requires up-to-date drivers and the legacy render pass path
will be abandoned in favor of it. Supporting both paths at the same time is not practical.
VK_KHR_dynamic_rendering allows us to fix some critical flaws with the legacy API
which caused potential shader compilation stutters and extra CPU overhead.
Link to source code
Run Microsoft Windows Applications and Games on Mac, Linux or ChromeOS save up to 20% off CodeWeavers CrossOver+ today.