VKD3D-Proton is a fork of VKD3D, which aims to implement the full Direct3D 12 API on top of Vulkan. The project serves as the development effort for Direct3D 12 support in Proton.
This release adds support for more D3D12 features and greatly improves GPU bound performance
in many scenarios.
Early DXR 1.0 support
VK_KHR_raytracing is used to enable cross-vendor ray-tracing support.
The implementation is WIP, but it is good enough to run some real content.
As of writing, only the NVIDIA driver works correctly.
It is expected AMD RDNA2 GPUs will work when working drivers are available
(amdgpu-pro 21.10 is known to not work).
Games which are expected to work include:
- Control (appears to be fully working)
- Ghostrunner (seems to work, not exhaustively tested)
To enable DXR support,
VKD3D_CONFIG=dxr %command% should be used when launching game.
Certain games may be unstable if DXR is enabled by default.
Full support (tier 3) for conservative rasterization was added.
Variable rate shading
Full support (tier 2) for variable rate shading was added.
Command list bundles
Allows Kingdom Hearts remaster to get past the errors, unsure if game fully works yet.
Write Watch and APITrace
D3D12_HEAP_FLAG_ALLOW_WRITE_WATCH has been added.
This means APITraces of titles can now be captured.
- Improve GPU bound performance in RE2 by up to 20% on NVIDIA.
- Enable async compute queues. Greatly improves GPU performance and frame pacing in many titles.
Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding see exceptional gains with this fix,
due to how the engines work. GPU utilization should now reach ~100%.
For best results, AMD Navi+ GPUs are recommended, but Polaris and earlier still
see great results. It is possible to disable this path, if for whatever reason
multiple queues are causing issues. See README.
- Optimize bindless constant buffer GPU-bound performance on NVIDIA if certain API code paths are used.
- Optimize sparse binding CPU overhead.
TRACElogging calls are disabled by default on release builds.
Fixes and workarounds
- Fix various DXIL bugs.
- Be more robust against broken pipeline creation API calls.
Avoids driver crashes in Forza Horizon 4.
- Workaround some buggy shaders in F1 2020.
- Fix bugs if depth bounds test is used in certain ways.
- Fix a read out-of-bounds in
SV_CullDistancein Hull Shaders.
Link to source code
Run Microsoft Windows Applications and Games on Mac, Linux or ChromeOS save up to 20% off CodeWeavers CrossOver+ today.